Join Our Mailing List

Please enter your email address below.

Manuscript Library

Welcome to the Booth Library manuscript index. 

The manuscript index contains links to finding aids for the collections of the Booth Library.  Each finding aid has a description of that collection along with a listing of the items within that collection.  The Booth Library staff and volunteers are updating the index daily in order to make your research experience more productive.

The Manuscript Index is arranged alphabetically by collection name.  To access a finding aid, please click on its name.

To search the Manuscript Index for a specific research topic, please enter the term into the Search Library Box below. 


Please keep in mind that many collections have not been inventoried while others are currently in progress.  If you have any questions regarding the Finding Aids or the Index, please contact the archivist at archivist@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Collection TitleCL 37 Temple B’Nai IsraelCreatorBooth Library
Processed ByRachel Dworkin
Date Completed:3/18/2008
Provenance:The items in this collection were donated to the Booth Library by Col. Sanford Barcus, the archivist of Temple B'Nai Israel. 
Terms:Elmira (N.Y.); Judaism-Customs and practices; Judaism-History-Modern period, 1750-; Judaism-Prayer-books and devotions; Reform Judaism; Synagogue bulletins; Synagogue-Membership; Synagogue-Organization and administration
Historical:

Temple B'Nai Israel- The Reform Congregation of B'Nai Israel was founded in Elmira, NY in 1861, although the first official meeting of the Congregation was not until October 12, 1862.  The Congregation's first temple was built in 1863 on High Street between Water and John Streets.  In 1886, the original wooden structure replaced by a brick building on the same location.  In 1952, however, the Congregation moved to a new location at 900 West Water Street where they remain today. 

During its existence, the Congregation of B'Nai Israel has had 25 different rabbis.  Within the last fifty years they have been; Leonard Devine, 1950-1956; Sanford M. Shapero, 1957-1959; Philmore Berger, 1959-1963; Stephen Goldrich, 1963-1969; David Zielonka, 1969-1973; David Jessel, 1973-1975; Philip Aronson, 1975-1991; David Castiglione, 1992-1996; Miriam Biatch, 1996-present.      

Scope:The Temple B'Nai Israel Collection includes bulletins, programs, flyers, mass mailings, photographs and other assorted documents.  The bulk of the collection consists of a fairly complete run of Temple Bulletins from 1975 to 1996.  The programs for various temple events range in date from 1949 to 1998, with the majority of them dating from the 1990's.  Most of the flyers, photographs, and mass mailings also date from this period.  The collection also includes some of the personal correspondence of the Barcus and Kahn families, specifically as it relates to the Temple or the Jewish community.  Most of the Kahn papers date from the 1950's, while much of the Barcus correspondence dates from the 1990's.     
Extent2 linear feet
Date Span1924-1998
Abstract

The Temple B'Nai Israel Collection contains photographs, programs, correspondence and bulletins all pertaining to the temple. 



Filter by:
TitleDocumentBox NumberFolder NumberLocation
Kol Ami: The Voice of the Twin Tiers Jewish Community, March 1997. NewsletterB1223
Kol Ami: The Voice of the Twin Tiers Jewish Community, May 1997. NewsletterB1224
Kol Ami: The Voice of the Twin Tiers Jewish Community, June 1997. (3 copies)NewsletterB1225
Kol Ami: The Voice of the Twin Tiers Jewish Community, July/August 1997. NewsletterB1226
Kol Ami: The Voice of the Twin Tiers Jewish Community, September 1997. NewsletterB1227
Kol Ami: The Voice of the Twin Tiers Jewish Community, October 1997. NewsletterB1228
Kol Ami: The Voice of the Twin Tiers Jewish Community, May 1998. NewsletterB1229
Photocopy of a letter to the Board of Managers for the Reformatory from Rabbi Adolf Radin of Temple B'Nai Israel concerning religious instruction for Jewish prisoners. DocumentB1230
Temple B'Nai Israel Brotherhood notebook. NotebookC01
Invitation for Col. and Mrs. Barcus to attend dinner at the Pearl's. LetterC0201
Invitation for Mr. and Mrs. F. Barkus to attend dinner at the Pearl's. LetterC0202
Invitation for Mrs. J. Lavine to attend dinner at the Pearl's. LetterC0203
Blank notecard with Temple B'Nai Israel logo, 1987. DocumentC0204
Napkin from the Temple B'Nai Israel 125th Anniversary banquet, 1987. (2 copies)NapkinC0205
Stationary set with Temple B'Nai Israel logo, 1987. (3 note cards, 3 envelopes)DocumentC0206
Template for Temple B'Nai Israel logo, 1987. DocumentC0207
Blank Temple B'Nai Israel letterhead and envelope, circa 1990. LetterC0208
Blank Temple B'Nai Israel letterhead, 1950-1956.LetterC0209
Memo from Stanford Barcus to the Temple B'Nai Israel Board of Trustees regarding the Fulton Street Cemetary, September 9, 1968. LetterC0301
Temple B'Nai Israel internal memo regarding the Franklin Street Cemetary, September 1969. (2 copies)LetterC0302
Internal Temple B'Nai Israel memo regarding an error in the May 1992 Bulletin, April 29, 1992. LetterC0303
Internal Temple B'Nai Israel memo regarding the records and files of Congregation B'Nai Israel, September 27, 1994. (3 copies)LetterC0304
Internal Temple B'Nai Israel memo regarding office procedure, October 19, 1995. LetterC0305
Internal Temple B'Nai Israel memo regarding purchase orders and charges, October 22, 1995. LetterC0306
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding religious school dues, October 27, 1959. LetterC0401
<<First  <<Previous  Next>>  Last>>

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Gallery Hours

Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays

Research Room:

Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students

The Museum Shop:

Open during regular gallery hours.

Address:

Chemung County Historical Society
415 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Contact Us:

Phone: (607) 734-4167
Email us: cchs@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Connect With Us:

Facebook Our Blog Tumblr History Pin

Admission:

$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the CCHS

Group Tours Call For An Appointment

We are wheelchair accessible
©2017 Chemung County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by inCommand Technologies