Join Our Mailing List

Please enter your email address below.

Manuscript Library

Welcome to the Booth Library manuscript index. 

The manuscript index contains links to finding aids for the collections of the Booth Library.  Each finding aid has a description of that collection along with a listing of the items within that collection.  The Booth Library staff and volunteers are updating the index daily in order to make your research experience more productive.

The Manuscript Index is arranged alphabetically by collection name.  To access a finding aid, please click on its name.

To search the Manuscript Index for a specific research topic, please enter the term into the Search Library Box below. 


Please keep in mind that many collections have not been inventoried while others are currently in progress.  If you have any questions regarding the Finding Aids or the Index, please contact the archivist at archivist@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Collection TitleCL 37 Temple B’Nai IsraelCreatorBooth Library
Processed ByRachel Dworkin
Date Completed:3/18/2008
Provenance:The items in this collection were donated to the Booth Library by Col. Sanford Barcus, the archivist of Temple B'Nai Israel. 
Terms:Elmira (N.Y.); Judaism-Customs and practices; Judaism-History-Modern period, 1750-; Judaism-Prayer-books and devotions; Reform Judaism; Synagogue bulletins; Synagogue-Membership; Synagogue-Organization and administration
Historical:

Temple B'Nai Israel- The Reform Congregation of B'Nai Israel was founded in Elmira, NY in 1861, although the first official meeting of the Congregation was not until October 12, 1862.  The Congregation's first temple was built in 1863 on High Street between Water and John Streets.  In 1886, the original wooden structure replaced by a brick building on the same location.  In 1952, however, the Congregation moved to a new location at 900 West Water Street where they remain today. 

During its existence, the Congregation of B'Nai Israel has had 25 different rabbis.  Within the last fifty years they have been; Leonard Devine, 1950-1956; Sanford M. Shapero, 1957-1959; Philmore Berger, 1959-1963; Stephen Goldrich, 1963-1969; David Zielonka, 1969-1973; David Jessel, 1973-1975; Philip Aronson, 1975-1991; David Castiglione, 1992-1996; Miriam Biatch, 1996-present.      

Scope:The Temple B'Nai Israel Collection includes bulletins, programs, flyers, mass mailings, photographs and other assorted documents.  The bulk of the collection consists of a fairly complete run of Temple Bulletins from 1975 to 1996.  The programs for various temple events range in date from 1949 to 1998, with the majority of them dating from the 1990's.  Most of the flyers, photographs, and mass mailings also date from this period.  The collection also includes some of the personal correspondence of the Barcus and Kahn families, specifically as it relates to the Temple or the Jewish community.  Most of the Kahn papers date from the 1950's, while much of the Barcus correspondence dates from the 1990's.     
Extent2 linear feet
Date Span1924-1998
Abstract

The Temple B'Nai Israel Collection contains photographs, programs, correspondence and bulletins all pertaining to the temple. 



Filter by:
TitleDocumentBox NumberFolder NumberLocation
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding committees for the Centennial Celebration, 1961. LetterC0402
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding the start of Chanukah, December 1962. LetterC0403
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding changes to the religious school program, February 11, 1964.LetterC0404
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding a reception to be held in January, December 17, 1980. LetterC0405
Invitation to the 125th Anniversary of Temple B'Nai Israel, November 7, 1987. LetterC0406
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding suggested topics for Shabbat morning discussions, June 19, 1990. LetterC0407
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding the schedule of Shabbat morning discussions, August 29, 1990. (3 copies) LetterC0408
Invitation to Temple B'Nai Israel's annual donor bruncheon, April 21, 1991. LetterC0409
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding Officers and Board Members, June 23, 1991. LetterC0410
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding Oneg Shabbat, August 2, 1991. LetterC0411
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding the theme of the High Holiday Season, September 1991. LetterC0412
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding Oneg Shabbat, January 2, 1992. LetterC0413
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding Rabbi Aronson's decision to leave the congregation, February 21, 1992. LetterC0414
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding the search for a new rabbi, March 7, 1992.LetterC0415
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding a meeting of the Board of Directors, May 8, 1992. LetterC0416
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding the Annual Congregation Meeting of the Temple, May 26, 1992. (2 copies)LetterC0417
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding the budget crisis, July 1992. LetterC0418
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding the Semi-Annual Congregation Meeting of the Temple, January 14, 1993. LetterC0419
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding the budget crisis, July 1, 1993. LetterC0420
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding the Josef Stein Endowment Fund, October 1, 1993. LetterC0421
Reminder to attend the Havdallah at the Lake, August 14, 1993. LetterC0422
Postcard to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel announcing the new Sunday Morning Bagel Hour, September 12, 1993. LetterC0423
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding a Sabbath of Celebration, October 10, 1993. LetterC0424
Invitation to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel to attend a Progressive Dinner, October 16, 1993. LetterC0425
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding the Mitzvah Committee, November 1, 1993. LetterC0426
<<First  <<Previous  Next>>  Last>>

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Gallery Hours

Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays

Research Room:

Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students

The Museum Shop:

Open during regular gallery hours.

Address:

Chemung County Historical Society
415 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Contact Us:

Phone: (607) 734-4167
Email us: cchs@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Connect With Us:

Facebook Our Blog Tumblr History Pin

Admission:

$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the CCHS

Group Tours Call For An Appointment

We are wheelchair accessible
©2017 Chemung County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by inCommand Technologies