Join Our Mailing List

Please enter your email address below.

Manuscript Library

Welcome to the Booth Library manuscript index. 

The manuscript index contains links to finding aids for the collections of the Booth Library.  Each finding aid has a description of that collection along with a listing of the items within that collection.  The Booth Library staff and volunteers are updating the index daily in order to make your research experience more productive.

The Manuscript Index is arranged alphabetically by collection name.  To access a finding aid, please click on its name.

To search the Manuscript Index for a specific research topic, please enter the term into the Search Library Box below. 


Please keep in mind that many collections have not been inventoried while others are currently in progress.  If you have any questions regarding the Finding Aids or the Index, please contact the archivist at archivist@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Collection TitleCL 37 Temple B’Nai IsraelCreatorBooth Library
Processed ByRachel Dworkin
Date Completed:3/18/2008
Provenance:The items in this collection were donated to the Booth Library by Col. Sanford Barcus, the archivist of Temple B'Nai Israel. 
Terms:Elmira (N.Y.); Judaism-Customs and practices; Judaism-History-Modern period, 1750-; Judaism-Prayer-books and devotions; Reform Judaism; Synagogue bulletins; Synagogue-Membership; Synagogue-Organization and administration
Historical:

Temple B'Nai Israel- The Reform Congregation of B'Nai Israel was founded in Elmira, NY in 1861, although the first official meeting of the Congregation was not until October 12, 1862.  The Congregation's first temple was built in 1863 on High Street between Water and John Streets.  In 1886, the original wooden structure replaced by a brick building on the same location.  In 1952, however, the Congregation moved to a new location at 900 West Water Street where they remain today. 

During its existence, the Congregation of B'Nai Israel has had 25 different rabbis.  Within the last fifty years they have been; Leonard Devine, 1950-1956; Sanford M. Shapero, 1957-1959; Philmore Berger, 1959-1963; Stephen Goldrich, 1963-1969; David Zielonka, 1969-1973; David Jessel, 1973-1975; Philip Aronson, 1975-1991; David Castiglione, 1992-1996; Miriam Biatch, 1996-present.      

Scope:The Temple B'Nai Israel Collection includes bulletins, programs, flyers, mass mailings, photographs and other assorted documents.  The bulk of the collection consists of a fairly complete run of Temple Bulletins from 1975 to 1996.  The programs for various temple events range in date from 1949 to 1998, with the majority of them dating from the 1990's.  Most of the flyers, photographs, and mass mailings also date from this period.  The collection also includes some of the personal correspondence of the Barcus and Kahn families, specifically as it relates to the Temple or the Jewish community.  Most of the Kahn papers date from the 1950's, while much of the Barcus correspondence dates from the 1990's.     
Extent2 linear feet
Date Span1924-1998
Abstract

The Temple B'Nai Israel Collection contains photographs, programs, correspondence and bulletins all pertaining to the temple. 



Filter by:
TitleDocumentBox NumberFolder NumberLocation
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding football pool tickets, August 1994. LetterC0427
Invitation to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel to attend the Winter Festival of Arts, December 3, 1994. LetterC0428
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding football pool tickets, August 1995. LetterC0429
Invitation to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel to attend a special service and luncheon January 27, 1996. LetterC0430
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding Rabbi Castiglione's leaving of the temple, February 26, 1996. LetterC0431
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding the Rabbinic Search Committee, April 1996. LetterC0432
Invitation to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel to attend a farewell dinner for Rabbi Castiglione, June 15, 1996. LetterC0433
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding the annual meeting and new rabbi, June 17, 1996. (2 copies)LetterC0434
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding the updating of temple membership records, July 1997. LetterC0435
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding ARZA, July 1, 1997. LetterC0436
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding football pool tickets, August 1997. LetterC0437
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding the Josef Stein Endowment Fund, no date. LetterC0438
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding BIFTY, no date. LetterC0439
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding funds for building repairs, no date. LetterC0440
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding the Leadership Shabbat Service, no date. LetterC0441
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding a food drive, no date. LetterC0442
Letter to the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding flowers for Oneg Shabbat, no date. LetterC0443
Notice for the members of Congregation Temple B'Nai Israel regarding a change in date for the Havdallah at the Lake, no date. LetterC0443
Letter from Rabbi David Zielonka to Robert, December 29, 1970. LetterC0501
Letter from Rabbi Philip Aronson to Myron Schoen regarding computer software, May 8, 1987. LetterC0502
Correspondence between Temple B'Nai Israel and Helen Seamon regarding her donation, October 1995. LetterC0503
Letter from William Hoffman to Temple B'Nai Israel regarding genealogical research, December 1, 1996. LetterC0504
Letter from Rabbi Sanford Shapero to the Kahn Family, December 1, 1958. LetterC0601
Letter from Rabbi Shapero to Charles Kahn detailing the service of Havdalah, 1958. LetterC0602
Letter from Rabbi Berger to Charles Kahn, September 29, 1959. LetterC0603
<<First  <<Previous  Next>>  Last>>

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Gallery Hours

Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays

Research Room:

Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students

The Museum Shop:

Open during regular gallery hours.

Address:

Chemung County Historical Society
415 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Contact Us:

Phone: (607) 734-4167
Email us: cchs@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Connect With Us:

Facebook Our Blog Tumblr History Pin

Admission:

$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the CCHS

Group Tours Call For An Appointment

We are wheelchair accessible
©2017 Chemung County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by inCommand Technologies