Join Our Mailing List

Please enter your email address below.

Manuscript Library

Welcome to the Booth Library manuscript index. 

The manuscript index contains links to finding aids for the collections of the Booth Library.  Each finding aid has a description of that collection along with a listing of the items within that collection.  The Booth Library staff and volunteers are updating the index daily in order to make your research experience more productive.

The Manuscript Index is arranged alphabetically by collection name.  To access a finding aid, please click on its name.

To search the Manuscript Index for a specific research topic, please enter the term into the Search Library Box below. 


Please keep in mind that many collections have not been inventoried while others are currently in progress.  If you have any questions regarding the Finding Aids or the Index, please contact the archivist at archivist@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Collection TitleMC 24 Elmira CollegeCreatorBooth Library
Processed ByRachel Dworkin
Date Completed:October 2009
Provenance:

The items in the Elmira College Collection were donated the Booth Library by various individuals. 

Terms:Education; Elmira College; Elmira (N.Y.); Women's colleges
Historical:Elmira College - Elmira College, located in the City of Elmira, was chartered by the Regents of the University of the State of New York on October 23, 1853 and opened in October of 1855.  The College was origianally known as Elmira Female College during its early years.  It was the first college in the nation designed to offer women a four-year degree.  Elmira College became co-educational in 1969.  College presidents have included Dr. Augustus Cowels (1856-1889); Dr. Wilson Phraner (1889); Dr. Charles Van Norden (1889-1893); Dr. Rufus S. Green (1893-1896): Dr. Alexander MacKenzie (1896-1915); Dr. John Balcom Shaw (1916-1918); Dr. Frederick Lent (1918-1935); Dr. William S.A. Pott (1935-1949); Dr. Lewis Eldred (1949-1954); Dr. John Murray (1950s).
Scope:The Elmira College Collection consists of material relating to the college, its students and alumnae including programs, newsletters, promotional publications, financial reports, course catalogs, booklets and student publications ranging in date from 1838 to the present.
Extent2 linear feet
Date Span1838-2009
AbstractThe Elmira College Collection contains newsletters, certificates, programs, booklets, directories and other documents relating to the institution and its former students.


Filter by:
TitleDocumentBox NumberFolder NumberLocation
Drawing of streets and houses which were changed in 1960-61 to make room for the expansion of Elmira College, drawn by Clark Wilcox.MapF0406
Letter to Mrs. Bickford from the fundraising Chair of Elmira College regarding a fund drive, September 10, 1904. LetterF0501
Postcard soliciting donations for Elmira College sent to Mrs. H.H. Bickford, February 8, 1906.PostcardF0502
Letter from Elmira College to all former members of the Kappa Sigma Society regarding the disbanding of the society, December 1911.LetterF0503
Christmas Card from Frederick Lent, ca. 1920s. Greeting CardF0504
Letter from A.C. Flick to Dr. Amy Gilbert, Elmira College, regarding the presentation of donated artifacts, February 6, 1930. LetterF0505
Letter from the Elmira College Director of Admissions to Marian Klebert regarding freshman orientation, June 1, 1951. LetterF0506
Letter to the Assistant Postmaster General regarding a stamp commemorating Elmira College with issue of Congressional Record attached, October 9, 1954.LetterF0507
Collection of notecards with speaches given at Elmira College, ca. 1920s.NotecardF0601
Elmira College student notebook with class notes, short stories, poetry and accounts of daily life, 1862-1863.NotebookF0602
Elmira College greeting card showing the statue of Olivia Langdon Clemens, 2008. Greeting CardF0603
Elmira College letterhead.LetterheadF0604
Mable Allen's diploma from the Elmira College Department of Sophomore Instruction upon completion of her freshman year, May 19, 1905. DocumentF0605
Page with notes about new Elmira College professors and statistics about physical fitness for the freshman class, no date.DocumentF0606
Magazine - Young Ladies Offering, Elmira Female Seminary literary magazine, January 1852. MagazineF0607
Recent acquistions to the Gannett Tripp Learning Center, Elmira College, ca. 1970. ManuscriptF0608
Biography of Dorothy Anne Dondore, Elmira College professor. ManuscriptF0609
Resolution of the Elmira Stamp Club recommending a commemorative stamp to honor 100 years of service to the city, state and nation by the Elmira College, April 13, 1955.DocumentF0610
Elmira College press release regarding the awarding of honorary doctorates to Lynden Pindling, James R. Houghton, Dr. Manuel Trinidad and Margaret Winner Clute, May 25, 1992.DocumentF0611
Poem - Women's Curiosity. DocumentF0612
Bookmark listing the hours for the Gannett-Tripp Learning Center, 1982. BookmarkF0613
<<First  <<Previous

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Gallery Hours

Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays

Research Room:

Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students

The Museum Shop:

Open during regular gallery hours.

Address:

Chemung County Historical Society
415 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Contact Us:

Phone: (607) 734-4167
Email us: cchs@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Connect With Us:

Facebook Our Blog Tumblr History Pin

Admission:

$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the CCHS

Group Tours Call For An Appointment

We are wheelchair accessible
©2017 Chemung County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by inCommand Technologies