Join Our Mailing List

Please enter your email address below.

Manuscript Library

Welcome to the Booth Library manuscript index. 

The manuscript index contains links to finding aids for the collections of the Booth Library.  Each finding aid has a description of that collection along with a listing of the items within that collection.  The Booth Library staff and volunteers are updating the index daily in order to make your research experience more productive.

The Manuscript Index is arranged alphabetically by collection name.  To access a finding aid, please click on its name.

To search the Manuscript Index for a specific research topic, please enter the term into the Search Library Box below. 


Please keep in mind that many collections have not been inventoried while others are currently in progress.  If you have any questions regarding the Finding Aids or the Index, please contact the archivist at archivist@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Collection TitleMC 40 Thomas Beecher/ Beecher FamilyCreatorBooth Library
Processed ByDavid Leopold
Date Completed:Winter 2005-2006
Provenance:The Thomas Beecher/ Beecher Family collection is a series of donations made by various donors.
Extent.5 linear feet
Date Spanc. 1860s-1990s
AbstractThe Thomas Beecher/ Beecher Family Collection contains articles, letters and other documents regarding the Beecher family


Filter by:
TitleDocumentBox NumberFolder NumberLocation
"The Park Church: Services in Celebration of the Centennial of the Birth of Thomas K. Beecher." Program of the 1924 celebratory service was donated by Dr. Ida Langdon on May 8, 1959. Includes hymns to be sung, sermons, and scripture lessons for the service. Document also includes brief history of the Park Church, biography of Thomas K. Beecher, and list of the ministers of the church.BookletA0305
This is a typed transcription of pages 47-48 of the Record Book #3 of the First Presbyterian Church (MC 40a Folder 03 Doc. Location 02). It concerns the beginnings of the Park Church.DocumentsA0306
Document entitled, " Very Few Families are as Distinguished as the Famous Beechers," written by Mrs. George Archibald Palmer. This is a six page report on the "remarkable" Beecher family. The author focuses on Thomas K. Beecher, Lyman Beecher, Henry Ward Beecher, and other relations. Date on report is July 15, 1923.DocumentsA0307
Photocopy of the Park Church Hymn, music and lyrics.DocumentsA0308
Religious trade card. Approximately two inches square with photos of Thomas K. Beecher and Mrs. Beecher and includes religious quotes by both.Trade CardsA0309
Several pages of hand written material labeled "Concerning Mr. Beecher". Appears to be a rough draft (many corrections and sections crossed out). Author unknown.DocumentsA0310
Tiny booklet containing the address delivered at the unveiling of the memorial statue of Thomas K. Beecher on December 11, 1901. Written by S. E. Eastman.BookletA0403
Booklet entitled "The Old Town Clock" containing a poem by Sara M. Billings. The poem is in reference to Thomas K. Beecher (Father Tom). The booklets do not have identical pictures. One copy had different images/photographs pasted onto its pages. This copy is described as a souvenir copy owned by Edward Everett Stanchfield. It is signed and dated by Stanchfield. There is a short paragraph on the former owner pasted in this booklet.BookletA0404 (4 copies)
A copy of "The Park Church Pulpit" containing a sermon by Albert G. Cornwell. The sermon, entitled The Lengthened Shadow of a Man, was delivered on February 10, 1935 on the occasion of the birthday anniversary of Thomas K. Beecher.BookletA0407
This is a clipping of an engraved portrait of a young Thomas K. Beecher.DocumentsA0510
Article by Charles Edward Stowe, entitled " How My Mother Wrote 'Uncle Tom's Cabin.'" The article is incomplete.ArticleA0703
Memo to the Steele Memorial Library from Cornell University relaying the lists of Beecher Manuscripts in their collection. Dated July 26, 1943.DocumentsA0801
Typed letter to the Steele Memorial Library from Cornell University letting Mr. Abner Wright know that some of the sermons of Thomas K. Beecher that he requested copies of are written not by Mr. Beecher but by his secretary. The curator of the Cornell collection is sending photocopies of the sermons in Mr. Beecher's handwriting. Dated February 15, 1944.LetterA0802
Photocopy of original handwritten sermon, "My Peace I Give unto You," by Thomas K. Beecher.DocumentsA0803
Photocopy of original handwritten sermon, "Meditation on Trees," by Thomas K. Beecher.DocumentsA0804
Photocopies of an assortment of Thomas K. Beecher's sermons (1 of 2).DocumentsA0805
Photocopies of an assortment of Thomas K. Beecher's sermons (2 of 2).DocumentsA0806
Flier from the February 11th, 1894 edition of Elmira Telegraph with a photograph of the Park Church and Pastor Beecher from forty years ago. This printed image was presented to each purchaser of the City Edition of the Elmira Telegraph.DocumentsA0913
This is another flier provided to purchasers of the City Edition of the Elmira Telegraph (March 18, 1900). It has a picture of the late Rev. Thomas K. Beecher.DocumentsA0915
An oval engraving of a younger Thomas K. Beecher.DocumentsA0916
Photocopy of a photograph of an older Thomas K. Beecher.DocumentsA0917
Photocopy of a photograph of the statue of Thomas K. Beecher.DocumentsA0918
A collection of documents found in the fireplace of the Beecher home on Water Cure. The assortment includes: receipt from the State Homoeopathic Asylum for the Insane confirming payment by Thomas K. for the care of James C.; receipt from the American Missionary Association; and 14 Chemung Canal Bank checks from Thomas K. (some handmade).DocumentsA0923
Scrap of paper on which a brief Beecher family tree appears. The author has written down all the children of Lyman Beecher and includes a brief sentence regarding what they are remembered for and if they are still living. Dated March 15, 1950.DocumentsA0924
A tiny edition of the bible," The Finger New Testament," approximately three inches by one inch, owned once by Leon C. Slauson and later by Thomas K. Beecher.BookA10
<<First  <<Previous

Page: 1 2

Gallery Hours

Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays

Research Room:

Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students

The Museum Shop:

Open during regular gallery hours.

Address:

Chemung County Historical Society
415 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Contact Us:

Phone: (607) 734-4167
Email us: cchs@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Connect With Us:

Facebook Our Blog Tumblr History Pin

Admission:

$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the CCHS

Group Tours Call For An Appointment

We are wheelchair accessible
©2017 Chemung County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by inCommand Technologies