Join Our Mailing List

Please enter your email address below.

Manuscript Library

Welcome to the Booth Library manuscript index. 

The manuscript index contains links to finding aids for the collections of the Booth Library.  Each finding aid has a description of that collection along with a listing of the items within that collection.  The Booth Library staff and volunteers are updating the index daily in order to make your research experience more productive.

The Manuscript Index is arranged alphabetically by collection name.  To access a finding aid, please click on its name.

To search the Manuscript Index for a specific research topic, please enter the term into the Search Library Box below. 


Please keep in mind that many collections have not been inventoried while others are currently in progress.  If you have any questions regarding the Finding Aids or the Index, please contact the archivist at archivist@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Collection TitleCL 111 The Sorosis Club of Elmira RecordsCreatorBooth Library
Processed ByRachel Dworkin
Date Completed:3/25/2008
Provenance:

The items in this collection were donated to the Booth Library by Margaret Hilbert in 2003. 

Terms:Book clubs; Elmira (N.Y.); Women-Societies and clubs
Historical:

The Sorosis Club of Elmira-The Walnut Street Literary Club was founded on January 4, 1898 with the stated object of social, ethical and intellectual culture, gained through organized effort, mutual sympathy and counsel.  The club was originally composed of the women of Walnut Street, and met on Wednesday afternoons at the homes of the members for lectures and book discussions.  In 1912, the Club joined the New York State Federation of Women's Clubs, and in 1916, it joined the General Federation of Women's Clubs.  In May of 1926, the Walnut Street Literary Club voted to change the name to the Sorosis Club.  In 1953, following some protest from the original Sorosis Club in Floral Park, NY, they changed the name again, this time to the Sorosis Club of Elmira.  The organization disbanded in 2001.

Scope:The Sorosis Club of Elmira Records contains administrative papers and correspondence, programs of Club events, programs and documents relating to the New York State Federation of Women's Clubs, scrapbooks and photographs of events.  The bulk of the collection consists of a complete run of the Club's yearly programs from 1902-2001.  The administrative documents include the Club's constitution and by-laws, guidelines for parliamentary procedure, roll books, minutes and budgets and date from 1910 to 1992.  The documents pertaining to the New York State Federation of Women's Clubs include programs, correspondence and awards and dates from 1912 to 1999.  The correspondence dates from 1906 to 1998.  The scrapbooks and photographs of events date from 1898 to 1998, with the majority of the photographs dating from the 1930's and 1940's. 
Extent1 linear foot
Date Span1898-2001
AbstractThe items in this collection all pertain to the Sorosis Club of Elmira and include administrative papers, correspondence, annual programs and scrapbooks. 


Filter by:
TitleDocumentBox NumberFolder NumberLocation
Thank you card to the Walnut Street Literary Club from Emma Andremos, March 22, 1926.Letter20113
Letter to the Executive Committee of the Sorosis Club of Floral Park from the Secretary of the Sorosis Club of Elmira regarding the naming of the Club with transcribed minutes from 1926 attached, September 22, 1953.Letter20114
Letter to Mrs. Anna Smith from Mrs. Albert B. Snavely, May 3, 1927. Letter20115
Letter to the members of the Sorosis Club from Eula Beach, January 9, 1929. Letter20116
Copy of a letter from the Sorosis Club to Attorney Halsey Sayles, April 8, 1948. Letter20117
Letter to the Sorosis Club from Attorney Halsey Sayles, April 9, 1948. Letter20118
Second Street Cemetery Beautification Plan, April 15, 1948. Document20119
Letter from the Sorosis Club to the Central Committee for the Second Street Cemetery Beautification Project, April 21, 1948. Letter20120
Letter to the Sorosis Club of Elmira from the Sorosis Club of Floral Park, December 29, 1953. Letter20121
Letter to Margaret Hilbert from Jane Barker of the New York State Federation of Women's Clubs, November 4, 1998. Letter20122
Sorosis Club History scrapbook, 1898-1973. Scrapbook20201
Photograph of Mrs. McCann, Mrs. Compton, Miss Haskell, and Mrs. Vincent, circa 1910. Photograph20202
Photograph of the Sorosis Club 40th Anniversary meeting at the home of Mrs. Cassius Phillips, 1938. Photograph20203
Photograph of the Sorosis Club's 50th Anniversary meeting at the home of Mrs. William T. Love, May 9, 1948. Photograph20204
Letter from the General Federation of Women's Clubs confirming the membership of the Walnut Street Literary Club within that federation, March 17, 1916. Letter20205
Certificate from the New York State Federation of Women's Clubs congradulating the Sorosis Club of Elmira for having been organized for 65 years, 1964. Document20206
Telegram from the Board of Directors of the New York State Federation of Women's Clubs to the Sorosis Club of Elmira on their 65th Anniversary, March 5, 1963. Telegram20207
Telegram from Florence Gilfeather to the Sorosis Club on their 75th Anniversary, May 15, 1973. Telegram20208
Sorosis Club Scrapbook, 1974-2001. Scrapbook20301
New York State Federation of Women's Clubs 6th District, Annual Fall Meeting, October 7, 1993. Photograph20302
Photograph of Mrs. Greene at Christmas meeting, no date. (2 copies)Photograph20303
Photograph of Edith Argyle, Jeanette Prokop and Emily Hamilton at the Sorosis Club Christmas tea, 1992. Photograph20304
Photograph of unidentified club members at the Sorosis Club Christmas tea, 1992. Photograph20305
Photograph of unidentified club members at the Sorosis Club Christmas tea, 1992. Photograph20306
Photograph of unidentified club members at the Sorosis Club Christmas tea, 1992. Photograph20307
<<First  <<Previous  Next>>  Last>>

Page: 1 2 3 4

Gallery Hours

Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays

Research Room:

Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students

The Museum Shop:

Open during regular gallery hours.

Address:

Chemung County Historical Society
415 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Contact Us:

Phone: (607) 734-4167
Email us: cchs@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Connect With Us:

Facebook Our Blog Tumblr History Pin

Admission:

$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the CCHS

Group Tours Call For An Appointment

We are wheelchair accessible
©2017 Chemung County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by inCommand Technologies