Join Our Mailing List

Please enter your email address below.

Manuscript Library

Welcome to the Booth Library manuscript index. 

The manuscript index contains links to finding aids for the collections of the Booth Library.  Each finding aid has a description of that collection along with a listing of the items within that collection.  The Booth Library staff and volunteers are updating the index daily in order to make your research experience more productive.

The Manuscript Index is arranged alphabetically by collection name.  To access a finding aid, please click on its name.

To search the Manuscript Index for a specific research topic, please enter the term into the Search Library Box below. 


Please keep in mind that many collections have not been inventoried while others are currently in progress.  If you have any questions regarding the Finding Aids or the Index, please contact the archivist at archivist@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Collection TitleCL 165 Southside High School CollectionCreatorChemung County Historical Society
Processed By
Provenance:The items in this collection were donated to the Booth Library by Elmira High School in 2016.
Historical:

Southside High School (1924-2014), located at the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and South Main Street, opened in January 1924. The school had been opened to alleviate overcrowding at Elmira Free Academy, the Elmira City School Districts original high school. The district was divided so students living on the north side of the river attended Elmira Free Academy, with students living on the south side as well as the, as well as the towns of Southport, Ashland, and Chemung attending Southside High School.

 

From 1924 to 1945, the two high schools had one combined athletic program. From 1946 on, they had their own sports teams, the Hornets. Their school colors were green and gold. Since 1935, the school yearbook has been known as The Edsonian, in honor of the school’s first principal, Frank M. Edson. The school newspaper is called the El-So-Hi.

 

In 1979, Southside High School moved to a new building at 777 South Main Street, the site of the old Remington Rand plant. The new building was larger with more amenities including a swimming pool. In 2014, Southside High School merged with the Elmira Free Academy to form the Elmira High School, located at 777 South Main.

Scope:The Southside High School Collection contains scrapbooks, 1972-1999; yearbooks, ; school newspaper, ; and photographs, .
Extent6 linear feet
Abstract

This collection contains scrapbooks, yearbooks, school newspapers, and photographs from Southside High School.



Filter by:
TitleDocumentBox NumberFolder NumberLocation
Southside High School Parent-Faculty Revised By-Laws, 1975.By-Laws061105
Southside High School Parent-Faculty meeting notes, Fall 1968.Minutes061106
Southside High School Open House, 5/1/1973.Program061107
Southside High School Parent-Faculty Organization letter for Open House, 5/1/1973.Letter061109
Southside High School Parent-Faculty Memos for Teachers and for Parents, for meeting on 10/15/1973 with a list of suggested topics of discussion for meeting.Memos061110
Letter to Principal, Vice-Principal, Faculty and Parents from former Parent-Faculty officer, ca. 1974.Letter061111
Elmira Star Gazette articles about cost per pupil and about teacher raises, 2/20/1964.Newspaper Article061112
Southside High School Parent-Faculty Organization sponsored Forum notice for 4/26/1976,copies of invitation letters to School Board Candidates and PFO minutes and notes about each candidate.School Board Forum notice and notes061113
Southside High School Career Night program, 4/19/1967.Program061114
Southside High School Student Activities Night program, 5/24/1967.Program061115
Southside High School PTA Information/Meeting program for 1963-64 school year.PTA Activity Program061116
Southside High School PTA memo to parents for PTA "Get Acquainted" night with teachers, 2/15/1967.Memo061117
Southside High School PFO Dance, 4/18/1970.Ticket061118
Southside High School PFO Dance, 4/18/1970.Ticket061118
Southside High School Student Handbook for incoming sophomores. (Date unknown)Student Handbook061119
Southside High School PTA calendar for 1967-68.PTA calendar061120
Thank you note from Martin Harrigan to PTA for a an activity honoring him.Note061121
Southside High School Parent-Teacher Association notice for 11/20 (no year).Notice061122
Southside High School Parent-Teacher Association notice for upcoming meeting 2/19 (unknown year).Notice061123
Southside High School notice for availability times of teachers for parents and students. Backside of paper has notes from a PTA meeting of 4/23 year unknown. Notice061124
Assorted photographs of Senior Day, Class of 1976.Photographs - Southside High School0620
Assorted photographs of Southside High School Library/Media Center rebuilt after the 1972 flood.Photographs - Southside High School0621
Assorted photographs of new Southside High School, 1980.Southside High School - Photographs0623
Two photographs of Library Club party, June, 1972. Two photographs of two students in St. joseph's Hospital, taken after Library Club Bowling Party, 6/8/74.Southside High School - photographs0624
Two photographs - one of a display board at Library @ Christmas, date unknown. One of girl's athletic team, date unknown.Southside High School photographs0625
<<First  <<Previous  Next>>  Last>>

Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Gallery Hours

Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays

Research Room:

Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students

The Museum Shop:

Open during regular gallery hours.

Address:

Chemung County Historical Society
415 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Contact Us:

Phone: (607) 734-4167
Email us: cchs@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Connect With Us:

Facebook Our Blog Tumblr History Pin

Admission:

$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the CCHS

Group Tours Call For An Appointment

We are wheelchair accessible
©2017 Chemung County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by inCommand Technologies