Join Our Mailing List

Please enter your email address below.

Manuscript Library

Welcome to the Booth Library manuscript index. 

The manuscript index contains links to finding aids for the collections of the Booth Library.  Each finding aid has a description of that collection along with a listing of the items within that collection.  The Booth Library staff and volunteers are updating the index daily in order to make your research experience more productive.

The Manuscript Index is arranged alphabetically by collection name.  To access a finding aid, please click on its name.

To search the Manuscript Index for a specific research topic, please enter the term into the Search Library Box below. 


Please keep in mind that many collections have not been inventoried while others are currently in progress.  If you have any questions regarding the Finding Aids or the Index, please contact the archivist at archivist@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Collection TitleCL 37 Temple B’Nai IsraelCreatorBooth Library
Processed ByRachel Dworkin
Date Completed:3/18/2008
Provenance:The items in this collection were donated to the Booth Library by Col. Sanford Barcus, the archivist of Temple B'Nai Israel. 
Terms:Elmira (N.Y.); Judaism-Customs and practices; Judaism-History-Modern period, 1750-; Judaism-Prayer-books and devotions; Reform Judaism; Synagogue bulletins; Synagogue-Membership; Synagogue-Organization and administration
Historical:

Temple B'Nai Israel- The Reform Congregation of B'Nai Israel was founded in Elmira, NY in 1861, although the first official meeting of the Congregation was not until October 12, 1862.  The Congregation's first temple was built in 1863 on High Street between Water and John Streets.  In 1886, the original wooden structure replaced by a brick building on the same location.  In 1952, however, the Congregation moved to a new location at 900 West Water Street where they remain today. 

During its existence, the Congregation of B'Nai Israel has had 25 different rabbis.  Within the last fifty years they have been; Leonard Devine, 1950-1956; Sanford M. Shapero, 1957-1959; Philmore Berger, 1959-1963; Stephen Goldrich, 1963-1969; David Zielonka, 1969-1973; David Jessel, 1973-1975; Philip Aronson, 1975-1991; David Castiglione, 1992-1996; Miriam Biatch, 1996-present.      

Scope:The Temple B'Nai Israel Collection includes bulletins, programs, flyers, mass mailings, photographs and other assorted documents.  The bulk of the collection consists of a fairly complete run of Temple Bulletins from 1975 to 1996.  The programs for various temple events range in date from 1949 to 1998, with the majority of them dating from the 1990's.  Most of the flyers, photographs, and mass mailings also date from this period.  The collection also includes some of the personal correspondence of the Barcus and Kahn families, specifically as it relates to the Temple or the Jewish community.  Most of the Kahn papers date from the 1950's, while much of the Barcus correspondence dates from the 1990's.     
Extent2 linear feet
Date Span1924-1998
Abstract

The Temple B'Nai Israel Collection contains photographs, programs, correspondence and bulletins all pertaining to the temple. 



Filter by:
TitleDocumentBox NumberFolder NumberLocation
Program for the Congregation B'Nai Israel Centennial Banquet, 1861-1961. (3 copies)BookletB0305
Program for the Congregation B'Nai Israel Hundred-and-twenty-fifth Anniversary, 1861-1987. (2 copies)BookletB0306
Letter to the Committee for Temple B'Nai Israel's 125th Anniversary, May 28, 1987. LetterB0307
Letter from the Committee for Temple B'Nai Israel's 125th Anniversary to New York City Mayor Edward Koch, June 17, 1987. LetterB0308
Letter to the Committee for Temple B'Nai Israel's 125th Anniversary. LetterB0309
Letter to the Committee for Temple B'Nai Israel's 125th Anniversary from Mayor Edward Koch, June 26, 1987. LetterB0310
Letter to the Committee for Temple B'Nai Israel's 125th Anniversary from Arlen Rosenberg, August 27, 1987. LetterB0311
Letter to Jane Benjamin, Trudi Porter, Cheryl Rosenbloom, Lesley Robinson, Carol Simons and Margaret Strumpf from Faith Gray, September 14, 1987. (2 copies)LetterB0312
Letter to the Committee for Temple B'Nai Israel's 125th Anniversary from Faith Gray, September 14, 1987. LetterB0313
Letter to Robert Green from Arlene Rosenberg, October 6, 1987. LetterB0314
Letter to Alex Porter from Rabbi Elihu Schagrin, November 19, 1987. LetterB0315
Letter to Alex Porter from Father Dennis Young, November 19, 1987. LetterB0317
Letter to Arlene Rosenberg from Alex Porter, November 19, 1987. LetterB0318
Meeting notice for Dinner Hostess's Committee, November 3, 1987. DocumentB0319
Notices of Meetings for the Steering Committee for the Temple's 125th Anniversary Celebration. DocumentB0320
Copy of a check from Gregory S. Rubin to the Temple for the 125th Anniversary Celebration, October 5, 1987. (2 copies)DocumentB0321
Bound volume of letters relating to Temple B'Nai Israel's 125th Anniversary Celebration, 1987. LetterB0322
Slides showing the before and after of renovations to the sanctuary of Temple B'Nai Israel, 1976-1980. SlideB0401
Photograph of the sanctuary of Temple B'Nai Israel before renovations, 1976. PhotographB0402
Photograph of the sanctuary of Temple B'Nai Israel after renovations, 1980. PhotographB0403
Photographic negative of Temple B'Nai luncheon, no date. NegativesB0501
Exterior of the Succa built and decorated by the Temple B'Nai Israel Youth Group, 1991. (3 copies)PhotographB0502
Interior of the succa built and decorated by the Temple B'Nai Israel Youth Group, 1991. (4 copies)PhotographB0503
Photograph of Purim observances at Temple B'Nai Israel, 1993.PhotographB0504
Photographic negatives of Murray Werner helping to clean up the Temple B'Nai Israel grounds, May 16, 1993. NegativesB0505
<<First  <<Previous  Next>>  Last>>

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Gallery Hours

Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays

Research Room:

Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students

The Museum Shop:

Open during regular gallery hours.

Address:

Chemung County Historical Society
415 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Contact Us:

Phone: (607) 734-4167
Email us: cchs@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Connect With Us:

Facebook Our Blog Tumblr History Pin

Admission:

$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the CCHS

Group Tours Call For An Appointment

We are wheelchair accessible
©2017 Chemung County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by inCommand Technologies