Join Our Mailing List

Please enter your email address below.

Manuscript Library

Welcome to the Booth Library manuscript index. 

The manuscript index contains links to finding aids for the collections of the Booth Library.  Each finding aid has a description of that collection along with a listing of the items within that collection.  The Booth Library staff and volunteers are updating the index daily in order to make your research experience more productive.

The Manuscript Index is arranged alphabetically by collection name.  To access a finding aid, please click on its name.

To search the Manuscript Index for a specific research topic, please enter the term into the Search Library Box below. 


Please keep in mind that many collections have not been inventoried while others are currently in progress.  If you have any questions regarding the Finding Aids or the Index, please contact the archivist at archivist@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Collection TitleCL 37 Temple B’Nai IsraelCreatorBooth Library
Processed ByRachel Dworkin
Date Completed:3/18/2008
Provenance:The items in this collection were donated to the Booth Library by Col. Sanford Barcus, the archivist of Temple B'Nai Israel. 
Terms:Elmira (N.Y.); Judaism-Customs and practices; Judaism-History-Modern period, 1750-; Judaism-Prayer-books and devotions; Reform Judaism; Synagogue bulletins; Synagogue-Membership; Synagogue-Organization and administration
Historical:

Temple B'Nai Israel- The Reform Congregation of B'Nai Israel was founded in Elmira, NY in 1861, although the first official meeting of the Congregation was not until October 12, 1862.  The Congregation's first temple was built in 1863 on High Street between Water and John Streets.  In 1886, the original wooden structure replaced by a brick building on the same location.  In 1952, however, the Congregation moved to a new location at 900 West Water Street where they remain today. 

During its existence, the Congregation of B'Nai Israel has had 25 different rabbis.  Within the last fifty years they have been; Leonard Devine, 1950-1956; Sanford M. Shapero, 1957-1959; Philmore Berger, 1959-1963; Stephen Goldrich, 1963-1969; David Zielonka, 1969-1973; David Jessel, 1973-1975; Philip Aronson, 1975-1991; David Castiglione, 1992-1996; Miriam Biatch, 1996-present.      

Scope:The Temple B'Nai Israel Collection includes bulletins, programs, flyers, mass mailings, photographs and other assorted documents.  The bulk of the collection consists of a fairly complete run of Temple Bulletins from 1975 to 1996.  The programs for various temple events range in date from 1949 to 1998, with the majority of them dating from the 1990's.  Most of the flyers, photographs, and mass mailings also date from this period.  The collection also includes some of the personal correspondence of the Barcus and Kahn families, specifically as it relates to the Temple or the Jewish community.  Most of the Kahn papers date from the 1950's, while much of the Barcus correspondence dates from the 1990's.     
Extent2 linear feet
Date Span1924-1998
Abstract

The Temple B'Nai Israel Collection contains photographs, programs, correspondence and bulletins all pertaining to the temple. 



Filter by:
TitleDocumentBox NumberFolder NumberLocation
Photograph of the adult Bat Mitzvah group, 1995. (3 copies)PhotographB0506
Photograph of Lawrence and Marjorie Schuler, 1996. PhotographB0507
Photograph of Helen Jerome, Geraldine Muller, Steven Muller and Robert Jerome, 1996. PhotographB0508
Photograph of the crowd at Oneg Shabbat, 1996. PhotographB0509
Photograph of Trudi and Alex Porter, 1996. PhotographB0510
Photograph of the crowd at Oneg Shabbat, 1996. PhotographB0511
Photograph of Marjorie and Larry Schuller, 1996. PhotographB0512
Photograph of a Bagel Brunch with a guest lecturer from the Israeli Embassy, 1996. (8 copies)PhotographB0513
Photograph album of images from the Farewell Dinner for Rabbi Castiglione, June 15, 1996. PhotographB0514
Photograph album of images from the Farewell Dinner for Rabbi Castiglione, June 15, 1996. PhotographB0515
Hack and Peggy Rubin, July 1997. PhotographB0516
Folder of 28 photographs from Temple B'Nai Israel's Shabbaton Retreat at Watson Homestead, N.J., June 17-18, 1994. PhotographB06
Folder of 33 photographs of the Salute to Israel Parade in New York City, June 6, 1995. PhotographB07
Folder of newspaper clippings relating to Temple B'Nai Israel, 1959-1995. Newspaper clippingsB08
Minutes for the meetings of the Benevolent Bickur-Cholim Society, September 17, 1924-January 18, 1928.DocumentB0901
Annual Report of the Benevolent Bockur-Cholim Society, 1932. DocumentsB0902
Letter from Benjamin Levy to Bertha Rosenfield proposing the merging of the Benevolent Society and the Hebrew Free Loan Association, February 16, 1928. LetterB0903
Letter from Stephen Goldrich to Judy Steinberg, April 26, 1967. LetterB0904
Constitution of the Sisterhood of Temple B'Nai Israel as revised January 1950. DocumentB1001
Membership list for the Sisterhood of Temple B'Nai Israel, 1976. DocumentB1003
Cassette tape of the Sisterhood meeting honoring the past presidents, September 21, 1981. (2 copies)Cassette tapeB1004
Flyer announcing a meeting of the Temple B'Nai Israel Sisterhood, September 23, 1991.DocumentB1005
Program for the Sisterhood Sabbath and Installation Service at Temple B'Nai Israel, May 31, 1991. BookletB1006
Program for the Sisterhood Sabbath and Installation Service at Temple B'Nai Israel, June 4, 1993. BookletB1008
Handbook for the Sisterhood of Temple B'Nai Israel, 1995-1996. BookletB1009
<<First  <<Previous  Next>>  Last>>

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Gallery Hours

Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays

Research Room:

Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students

The Museum Shop:

Open during regular gallery hours.

Address:

Chemung County Historical Society
415 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Contact Us:

Phone: (607) 734-4167
Email us: cchs@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Connect With Us:

Facebook Our Blog Tumblr History Pin

Admission:

$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the CCHS

Group Tours Call For An Appointment

We are wheelchair accessible
©2017 Chemung County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by inCommand Technologies