Join Our Mailing List

Please enter your email address below.

Manuscript Library

Welcome to the Booth Library manuscript index. 

The manuscript index contains links to finding aids for the collections of the Booth Library.  Each finding aid has a description of that collection along with a listing of the items within that collection.  The Booth Library staff and volunteers are updating the index daily in order to make your research experience more productive.

The Manuscript Index is arranged alphabetically by collection name.  To access a finding aid, please click on its name.

To search the Manuscript Index for a specific research topic, please enter the term into the Search Library Box below. 


Please keep in mind that many collections have not been inventoried while others are currently in progress.  If you have any questions regarding the Finding Aids or the Index, please contact the archivist at archivist@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Collection TitleCL 37 Temple B’Nai IsraelCreatorBooth Library
Processed ByRachel Dworkin
Date Completed:3/18/2008
Provenance:The items in this collection were donated to the Booth Library by Col. Sanford Barcus, the archivist of Temple B'Nai Israel. 
Terms:Elmira (N.Y.); Judaism-Customs and practices; Judaism-History-Modern period, 1750-; Judaism-Prayer-books and devotions; Reform Judaism; Synagogue bulletins; Synagogue-Membership; Synagogue-Organization and administration
Historical:

Temple B'Nai Israel- The Reform Congregation of B'Nai Israel was founded in Elmira, NY in 1861, although the first official meeting of the Congregation was not until October 12, 1862.  The Congregation's first temple was built in 1863 on High Street between Water and John Streets.  In 1886, the original wooden structure replaced by a brick building on the same location.  In 1952, however, the Congregation moved to a new location at 900 West Water Street where they remain today. 

During its existence, the Congregation of B'Nai Israel has had 25 different rabbis.  Within the last fifty years they have been; Leonard Devine, 1950-1956; Sanford M. Shapero, 1957-1959; Philmore Berger, 1959-1963; Stephen Goldrich, 1963-1969; David Zielonka, 1969-1973; David Jessel, 1973-1975; Philip Aronson, 1975-1991; David Castiglione, 1992-1996; Miriam Biatch, 1996-present.      

Scope:The Temple B'Nai Israel Collection includes bulletins, programs, flyers, mass mailings, photographs and other assorted documents.  The bulk of the collection consists of a fairly complete run of Temple Bulletins from 1975 to 1996.  The programs for various temple events range in date from 1949 to 1998, with the majority of them dating from the 1990's.  Most of the flyers, photographs, and mass mailings also date from this period.  The collection also includes some of the personal correspondence of the Barcus and Kahn families, specifically as it relates to the Temple or the Jewish community.  Most of the Kahn papers date from the 1950's, while much of the Barcus correspondence dates from the 1990's.     
Extent2 linear feet
Date Span1924-1998
Abstract

The Temple B'Nai Israel Collection contains photographs, programs, correspondence and bulletins all pertaining to the temple. 



Filter by:
TitleDocumentBox NumberFolder NumberLocation
Handbook for the Temple B'Nai Israel Sisterhood, 1996-1997. BookletB1010
Temple B'Nai Israel Sisterhood proposed budget, 1996-1997. DocumentB1011
Folder of 25 photographs of the Temple B'Nai Israel Religious School students and staff, 1994-1995. PhotographB11
Memo to Mrs. Kahn from Mrs. Jerome regarding Sisterhood expenses, September 1, 1961. DocumentB1102
Set of index cards outlinning Temple B'Nai Israel history. DocumentB1201
Account book for Boy Scout Troop #7, 1925-1966. LedgerB1202
Partial list of Temple B'Nai Israel members, 1941-42. DocumentB1203
Rules and Regulations of the Temple B'Nai Israel Cemetery, May 9, 1962. BookletB1204
Note card about the laying of the temple cornerstone, July 4, 1866. DocumentB1205
Blank letterhead for the Temple B'Nai Israel Cemetery Committee. DocumentB1206
Blank Temple B'Nai Israel Religious School report card. DocumentB1207
A Passover riddle with a whole in the middle. DocumentB1208
Plans for built-in bookcases in the Temple B'Nai Israel social hall, 1988. DocumentsB1209
Essay, "The Rabbi Looks at His COngregation" by Rabbi Sanford Shapero, April 17, 1959. DocumentB1210
Photocopy of Nanette and Sanford Barcus's marriage certificate, June 20, 1948. DocumentB1211
"The War Prayer" by Mark Twain. (2 copies)DocumentB1212
List of teachers certified under the national teacher certification program, December 1968. DocumentB1213
Proclamation by Howard F. Townsend, Mayor of the City of Elmira, announcing Days of Remembrance of the Victims of the Holocaust, April 23-30, 1995. DocumentB1214
Notes. DocumentB1215
Draft of the bulletin for October 30, 1992. DocumentB1216
Short biography of Bertram Brooks and Sanford L. Barcus. DocumentB1217
The Cashmeretonian, September 1992. NewsletterB1218
The Cashmeretonian, October 1994. NewsletterB1220
Kol Ami: The Voice of the Twin Tiers Jewish Community, January 1997.Newsletter B1221
Kol Ami: The Voice of the Twin Tiers Jewish Community, February 1997. NewsletterB1222
<<First  <<Previous  Next>>  Last>>

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Gallery Hours

Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays

Research Room:

Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students

The Museum Shop:

Open during regular gallery hours.

Address:

Chemung County Historical Society
415 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Contact Us:

Phone: (607) 734-4167
Email us: cchs@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Connect With Us:

Facebook Our Blog Tumblr History Pin

Admission:

$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the CCHS

Group Tours Call For An Appointment

We are wheelchair accessible
©2017 Chemung County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by inCommand Technologies