Join Our Mailing List

Please enter your email address below.

Manuscript Library

Welcome to the Booth Library manuscript index. 

The manuscript index contains links to finding aids for the collections of the Booth Library.  Each finding aid has a description of that collection along with a listing of the items within that collection.  The Booth Library staff and volunteers are updating the index daily in order to make your research experience more productive.

The Manuscript Index is arranged alphabetically by collection name.  To access a finding aid, please click on its name.

To search the Manuscript Index for a specific research topic, please enter the term into the Search Library Box below. 


Please keep in mind that many collections have not been inventoried while others are currently in progress.  If you have any questions regarding the Finding Aids or the Index, please contact the archivist at archivist@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Collection TitleCL 01 Alfred "Chick" Hilbert CollectionCreatorBooth Library
Processed By
Provenance:The items in this collection were donated to the Booth Library by Margaret Hilbert in 1993.
Terms:

Chemung County (N.Y.); Elmira (N.Y.); Indians - Iroquois; Painted Post (N.Y.)

Historical:Alfred Hilbert was the Elmira City Historian until his death in 1991. These materials were compiled while he served as Historian.
Scope:The Alfred "Chick" Hilbert Collection contains newspaper clippings, magazines, speeches, books, manuscripts, photographs and maps.
Notes:

 

Extent.5 linear feet
AbstractThis collection contains Alfred "Chick" Hilbert's notes on regional lore, Painted Post, the Preemption Line and the Iroquois.

 



Filter by:
TitleDocumentBox NumberFolder NumberLocation
Regional Lore - Misc. Notes: Facts and Folklore of the Southern Tier; Our River Valley; Witchcraft; Lead Mine Legend; Presidents Cemetery - N. Urbana; Sequel to Polly Teepies Story; Big Flats; Weaver Hotel Story; Christian Minier; The "Frenchman"; Erin Well Mystery; Erin Pedlar Story; Erin Trees; Hector Story; One Day War; Montour Indian Sites; Queen Catherine's Grave; Montour Falls; "Aunt Sarah's Falls"; Painted Rocks; Teachers; Hopetown Shivaree; The Yates County Great Squirrel Hunt; Kashong House Warming & Spinning Bee; Sermon of Henry Ward Beecher; Apple Pie; Briscoe's Cove - Sodus Bay.Document0101
Regional Lore - Misc. Notes: Wellsberg teachers; The "Frenchman" Gene Berthod, Legend of the Hornby Lead Mine; The Hornby Abandoned Well Mystery; Corning Glass Works News; Corning-Painted Post Historical Society, Inc. Bulletin; The New York-Vermont Land Dispute, 1749 - 1791; Wolves of West Elmira; Rorick's Glen.Document0102
Painted Post notes and articles. Document0103
Cornell Rural School Leaflet - "Our New York Indians, Part III" by Earl A. Bates, September 1930. Document0104
Essay - "The Williamson Road" by Charles G. Webb, 1964.Document0105
Abstract search and Deed of farm, bought from S. M. Fassett.Document0106
"The Williamson Road" By Alfred Hilbert and misc. research. "The Williamson Road" revised August 1965 and again in April 1966; "Charl Williamson" from the Rochester Historical Society; The Corning-Painted Post Historical Society, Inc. Bulletin.Document0106
Research on the Preemption Line: Various documents on the Preemption Line; letter from H. W. Nichols, Massachusetts Historical Society; Commonwealth of Mass., article by E. Everett Buchanan, Jr.; note cards; newspaper article and picture; maps; article compiled by A. Glenn Rogers; History of Preemption Line and Road; article on conflicting land grants and charters; "Land Development in Western New York prior to 1800"; "Connecticut Hill"; map of Middlesex; History of town of Milo; History of Milo Center; topographical map of seeley creek quadrangle.Document0107
Research on the Preemption Line: Photographs.Photograph0108
Research on the Iroquois: "The Native Americans" by Spencer-Jennings; photo of Indian monument of Painted Post; "Your Longhouse Family"; picture of silver brooches from "Genessee Country"; "Indians of New York State: Land of the Iroquois (Ho-De-No-Sau-Nee); maps.Document0109
Research on the Iroquois-Algonkin Family: pages 88 - 95 and 186 - 187, 190 - 194, 268 - 273 from a book apparently called "The Great Indian Families."Document0110
Research on the Iroquois - Montour Family & Queen Catherine: various letters, article from the Schuyler County Historical Society "Journal"; geneaology of the "Montour" Family.Document0111
Research on the Iroquois: Excerpts from "The White Roots of Peace" by Paul A. W. Wallace, 1946.Document0112
"The Iroquios Federation" by James Thomas Flexner; "Too Old to Change?" by Robert W. Chambers; "Revolution in the Valley" by John Tebbel and Keith Jennison; "Adam Helmer's Run" by Walter D. Edmonds; "Captain Charles Williamson of Bath" by Guy H. McMaster; "Letters from under a Bridge" by nathaniel P. Willis; "Mark Twain's Courtship" by Samuel L. Clemens.Document0113
Research on the Iroquois, Hiawatha and Cheifs: excerpts from "The Patriot Chiefs" by Alvin M. Josephy, Jr. a mailgram; "Three Trails" by Davy; "The Legend of Hiawatha"; and "The Lost World of Iroquois Legend" by S. A. Hurd.Document0114
Reseach on the Iroquois; excerpts from "The History of the Five Indian Nations" by Cadwallader Colden.Document0115
Miscellaneous brochures: program from "A Pageant in 17 Episodes"; program from Chemung Co. 125th Anniversary; Armand Wargny Retrospective; program from National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution; Park Church 135th Anniversary Dinner; Ticket from the Chemung County Historical Society Annual Antique Show and Sale (ca. 1945 - 1961).Document0116
Letters to and from Mr. Hilbert (1956 - 1976).Document0117
Miscellaneous: population trends in the Star-Gazette; "Elmira's History Year by Year"; Surveyor's Table and Misc. Coinage; Watkins Glen; article about a railroad; Articles on Painted Post Memorial being dedicated; City Seal changed to reflect correct Indian nation; Reflecting 150 Years facts.Document0118
Copy of nwspaper article from the March 3,1957 Elmira Sunday Telegram titled " Mastodon's Tusk Gave Chemung Its Name".Newspaper ArticleA0611

Gallery Hours

Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays

Research Room:

Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students

The Museum Shop:

Open during regular gallery hours.

Address:

Chemung County Historical Society
415 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Contact Us:

Phone: (607) 734-4167
Email us: cchs@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Connect With Us:

Facebook Our Blog Tumblr History Pin

Admission:

$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the CCHS

Group Tours Call For An Appointment

We are wheelchair accessible
©2017 Chemung County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by inCommand Technologies