(posted October 5, 2021)
The Chemung County Historical Society is seeking a full time curator. The curator reports to the Director and is responsible for the planning and installation of exhibitions, leading the exhibits team and overseeing the management of the collection. Additionally, the curator works collaboratively with the staff (4.5 FTE) to meet the day to day needs of a small organization.
The Chemung County Historical Society is located in Elmira, NY. We are accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and have received several awards from the Museum Association of New York for both programming and exhibitions.
· Plan and implement exhibitions including:
o Research, writing, layout, design, budgeting, preparation, and installation
· Manage the Society’s three-dimensional collections including:
o accessioning, deaccessioning, inventorying, photographing, cataloging, re-housing, and monitoring storage climate
· Supervise interns and volunteers working in collections
· Assist with public and educational programming as needed
· Oversee collections development including Long Range Conservation Plan and Collecting Plan.
· Implement segments of the Strategic Plan as appropriate
· Prepare grants
· Engage in professional development when possible
· And other such duties as may be required from time to time to support the mission of the Society
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in museum studies, exhibit design or another appropriate field and 2 to 3 years’ experience. The ideal candidate will have a graduate degree and 3 to 5 years’ experience. CCHS is willing to consider related job experience in lieu of formal degrees.
The ability to work cooperatively with a small staff, strong writing and communication skills and experience with social media are also important components of the position.
To apply email resume and cover letter to
(posted September 13, 2021)
The Chemung County Historical Society is looking to fill a part-time position of Administrative Assistant. This position serves as the primary support for the museum staff, keeping records organized, working with the Director on membership and working with both the Director and contract bookkeeper to keep financial records organized and bills paid on time. The AA oversees the front desk staff, both part time and volunteer positions, and manages the small but growing museum shop.
Job duties include, but not limited to:
- Assist the Director and other staff with day to day tasks as needed
- Manage bookkeeping / pay invoices
- Manage gift shop inventory
- Supervise Visitor Services Assistants at front desk and fill in when needed.
- Supervise contract cleaner weekly
- Manage office supply inventory
- Fulfill mail orders for gift shop items
- Manage membership database
- Implement bulk mailings to membership
- And other such duties as may be required from time to time to support the mission of the Society
This is a part time hourly position, 20 hours per week, $13 to $15/hr. High school diploma or equivalent required. The ideal candidate will have prior office experience and familiarity with Quickbooks, Square or PastPerfect.
Email resume and cover letter to Bruce Whitmarsh,
No phone calls please