Join Our Mailing List

Please enter your email address below.

Manuscript Library

Welcome to the Booth Library manuscript index. 

The manuscript index contains links to finding aids for the collections of the Booth Library.  Each finding aid has a description of that collection along with a listing of the items within that collection.  The Booth Library staff and volunteers are updating the index daily in order to make your research experience more productive.

The Manuscript Index is arranged alphabetically by collection name.  To access a finding aid, please click on its name.

To search the Manuscript Index for a specific research topic, please enter the term into the Search Library Box below. 

Please keep in mind that many collections have not been inventoried while others are currently in progress.  If you have any questions regarding the Finding Aids or the Index, please contact the archivist at

Collection TitleCL 146 Harris Hill Amusement Park CollectionCreatorBooth Library
Processed ByRachel Dworkin
Date Completed:April 2014
Provenance:The items in this collection were donated to the Booth Library by Scott and Nancy Merrill in 2013. 
Terms:Amusement Parks; Big Flats (N.Y.)
Historical:Harris Hill Park, Inc. - In 1949, W. Kenneth and Frances Merrill began offering pony rides at what is now Harris Hill Amusement Park.  Over the years, the couple began offering a wider variety of rides and amusements including a petting zoo, putt-putt golf, a driving range and go-karts.  Their son, Scott, and his wife, Nancy, took over the business in 1976.  The couple ran it along with their children, Ashley and Michael, before selling it to long-time employees Jay and Terry Goodwin in 2002.  The park is still in operation. 
Scope:The Harris Hill Amusement Park Collection contains photographs of Harris Hill Park and the Merrill family; a scrapbook relating to the park; legal documents relating to the park; newspaper clippings; and assorted items related to the park. 
Extent1 linear foot
Date Span1944-2002

This collection contains images, scrapbooks and assorted documents related to the Harris Hill Amusement Park. 

Filter by:
TitleDocumentBox NumberFolder NumberLocation
Changes to the articles of incorporation for Harris Hill Kiddie Park, Inc., making Scott Merrill one of the three primary shareholders, September 1977. DocumentA0311
Letter from Dennis J Wieland, land surveyor, regarding a survey of Edward L. Whittenhall's land on Harris Hill, December 20, 1985. (with attached map)LetterA0312
Letter from the law firm of Buck, Danaher, Harpending & Ryan to Scott Merrill regarding the survey of Edward Whittenhall's land, February 11, 1986. LetterA0313
(9) Tickets and passes to putt-putt mini-golf, go-karts and rides at Harris Hill Park, ca. 1980s. TicketsA0401
(2) Postcards of Harris Hill Park and the original National Soaring Museum, ca. 1970s. PostcardsA0402
Business card for Scott Merrill, owner of Harris Hill Amusement Park, Inc., ca. 1990s. Business CardA0403
Handbill - Harris Hill Park, Chemung County Department of Parks & Recreation, ca. 1990. HandbillA0404
Handbill - Harris Hill Amusement Park, ca. 1990. HandbillA0405
Harris Hill Park, Inc., letterhead, ca. 1990. LetterheadA0406
Thank-you letter from Claude King of Independent Film to Scott Merrill regarding the resent film shoot at Harris Hill Park, July 23, 2001. LetterA0407
Farewell greeting card from the staff at Harris Hill Amusement Park to Scott & Nancy Merrill upon their retirement, 2002. Greeting CardA0408
This folder contains the following photographs associated with the Merrill Family: Merrill pony farm, ca. 1950s; Frances Merrill and pony, ca. 1950; pony rides at Eldridge Park, ca. 1950s; kiddie rides at Harris Hill, 1960; Merrill Manor, ca. 1960s; Ashley Merrill, 1986; interior of Merrill home with various paintings by Talitha Botsford, ca. 1990s; various views of Harris Hill Park, rides and staff, 1970s-200s. PhotographsA0501
This folder contains newspaper clippings, 1918-2002, regarding the Merrill and Edmister families; Merrill pony farm and rides; Harris Hill Park; Merrill House; film shoots at Harris Hill; formation of the National Soaring Museum. Newspaper ClippingsA0601
<<First  <<Previous

Page: 1 2

Gallery Hours

Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays

Research Room:

Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students

The Museum Shop:

Open during regular gallery hours.


Chemung County Historical Society
415 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Contact Us:

Phone: (607) 734-4167
Email us:

Connect With Us:

Facebook Our Blog Tumblr History Pin


$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the CCHS

Group Tours Call For An Appointment

We are wheelchair accessible
©2018 Chemung County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by inCommand Technologies