Join Our Mailing List

Please enter your email address below.

Manuscript Library

Welcome to the Booth Library manuscript index. 

The manuscript index contains links to finding aids for the collections of the Booth Library.  Each finding aid has a description of that collection along with a listing of the items within that collection.  The Booth Library staff and volunteers are updating the index daily in order to make your research experience more productive.

The Manuscript Index is arranged alphabetically by collection name.  To access a finding aid, please click on its name.

To search the Manuscript Index for a specific research topic, please enter the term into the Search Library Box below. 


Please keep in mind that many collections have not been inventoried while others are currently in progress.  If you have any questions regarding the Finding Aids or the Index, please contact the archivist at archivist@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Collection TitleCL 165 Southside High School CollectionCreatorChemung County Historical Society
Processed By
Date Completed:March 2018
Provenance:The items in this collection were donated to the Booth Library by Elmira High School in 2016.
Terms:Elmira (N.Y.); High Schools – Athletics; High Schools; Public schools
Historical:

Southside High School (1924-2014), located at the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and South Main Street, opened in January 1924. The school had been opened to alleviate overcrowding at Elmira Free Academy, the Elmira City School Districts original high school. The district was divided so students living on the north side of the river attended Elmira Free Academy, with students living on the south side as well as the, as well as the towns of Southport, Ashland, and Chemung attending Southside High School.

 

From 1924 to 1945, the two high schools had one combined athletic program. From 1946 on, they had their own sports teams, the Hornets. Their school colors were green and gold. Since 1935, the school yearbook has been known as The Edsonian, in honor of the school’s first principal, Frank M. Edson. The school newspaper is called the El-So-Hi.

 

In 1979, Southside High School moved to a new building at 777 South Main Street, the site of the old Remington Rand plant. The new building was larger with more amenities including a swimming pool. In 2014, Southside High School merged with the Elmira Free Academy to form the Elmira High School, located at 777 South Main.

Scope:The Southside High School Collection contains scrapbooks, 1972-1999; yearbooks; school newspapers; miscellaneous papers; and photographs.
Notes:Stored in the 3rd floor back room on top of CL 170 MC-01.
Extent6 linear feet
Date Span1924-2004
Abstract

This collection contains scrapbooks, yearbooks, school newspapers, and photographs from Southside High School.



Filter by:
TitleDocumentBox NumberFolder NumberLocation
Southside High School program for National Honor Society Induction Ceremony, 5/13/1975.Program060303
Southside High School Senior Day program, 5/30/1975.Program060304
Southside High School Spring Band Concert program, 5/19/1976.Program060305
Southside High School Senior Day Program, 5/27/1976.Program060306
Southside High School National Honor Society Induction Ceremony program, 5/3/1977.Program060307
El-So-Hi, Southside High School Newspaper: September 30, 1968-June 4, 1970.Newspapers0604
El-So-Hi, Southside High School newspaper, September 30, 1970-June 2, 1972.Newspapers0605
El-So-Hi, Southside High School newspaper: September 1972-June 1974.Newspapers0606
El-So-Hi, Southside High School newspaper: September 1974-May 1976.Newspapers0607
El-So-Hi, Southside High School newspaper: October 1976-May 1978.Newspapers0608
El-So-Hi, Southside High School newspaper: October 1978-March 1980.Newspapers0609
El-So-Hi, Southside High School Newspaper: March 1981-March 1985.Newspapers0610
Southside High School Parent-Teacher Association papers including event programs, meeting fliers, correspondence, and miscellaneous material, 1960s-1970s. Papers0611
Commencement programs from Elmira Free Academy (EFA) from 1924, 1925, and 1953.Papers061201
Newspaper - Elmira Free Academy Vindex school paper, June 6, 1974.Newspaper061202
Southside High School book of PTA minutes from 1957-1975.Ledger0613
Magazine - Forum, Southside High School Literary Magazine, April 30, 1969.Magazine061401
Misc. correspondence, 1978-1983. Correspondence061402
Newspaper - All-Together, March 1973. Newspaper061403
Pictures of Southside High School 1972 Flood damage in various rooms.Photographs0615
Assorted photographs of Southside High School library, November 9, 1973.Photographs.0616
Photographs of a reception for Mrs. King, February 14, 1974.Photographs0617
Photographs of Southside High School Media Center, April 1974.Photographs0618
Photographs of the Southside High School library during the 50th anniversary, June 1974 (includes negatives).Photographs0619
Photographs of Southside High School Senior Day, 1975 and of an unknown event, ca. 1975.Photographs0620
<<First  <<Previous  Next>>  Last>>

Page: 1 2 3 4

Gallery Hours

Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays

Research Room:

Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students

The Museum Shop:

Open during regular gallery hours.

Address:

Chemung County Historical Society
415 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Contact Us:

Phone: (607) 734-4167
Email us: cchs@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Connect With Us:

Facebook Our Blog Tumblr History Pin

Admission:

$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the CCHS

Group Tours Call For An Appointment

We are wheelchair accessible
©2018 Chemung County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by inCommand Technologies