Join Our Mailing List

Please enter your email address below.

Manuscript Library

Welcome to the Booth Library manuscript index. 

The manuscript index contains links to finding aids for the collections of the Booth Library.  Each finding aid has a description of that collection along with a listing of the items within that collection.  The Booth Library staff and volunteers are updating the index daily in order to make your research experience more productive.

The Manuscript Index is arranged alphabetically by collection name.  To access a finding aid, please click on its name.

To search the Manuscript Index for a specific research topic, please enter the term into the Search Library Box below. 

Please keep in mind that many collections have not been inventoried while others are currently in progress.  If you have any questions regarding the Finding Aids or the Index, please contact the archivist at

Collection Title:CL 192 Central Christian Church CollectionCreator:Chemung County Historical Society
Processed By:Dan Weaver
Date Completed:November 2021

The items in this collection were donated to the Booth Library by the Central Christian Church in 2018.


Elmira (N.Y.); Churches 


The Elmira Central Christian Church’s origins can be traced to 1893 when a group of local worshippers began meeting as an informal outgrowth of the national Disciples of Christ movement. In October 1898, the group moved to a two-story building at the corner of South Main and Partridge Streets. The group was formally incorporated in November 1898 as The First Church of Christ, Disciples, and moved into a newly-built church on the South Main St. site in 1906.

In January 1951, the organization changed its name to the Central Christian Church, though it remained a local branch of the Disciples of Christ denomination. The church remained active for the next six decades, with highlights including the establishment in the 1980s of a World Outreach Committee, responsible for significant charitable work, and the establishment in 2004 of Spanish language services (the Hispanic Ministry project). In 2013, the church legally disassociated itself from the Disciples of Christ and dissolved in 2018. Notable pastors included: Clayton Chandler Crawford (1896-1909), who served as minister to the initial Disciples of Christ group; Charles M. Kreidler (1909-1924), whose efforts were instrumental in saving the church from financial crisis in its early years; Ronald L. Parker (1970-1974) and Harry L. Taylor (1974-1981), who provided leadership in reconstruction projects following damage to the church caused by Hurricane Agnes in 1972; and Ramon Osorio Jr. (2004-2011), who initiated the Hispanic Ministry project.


The Elmira Central Christian Church contains church newsletters and annual reports, 1940s-2010s; service programs, 1930s-2017; correspondence, 1898-2017; meeting minutes, 1910-2017; administrative documents, 1896-2017; photographs and albums, 1910s-2000s; assorted documents.

Extent:6 linear feet
Date Span:1896-2018

This collection contains documents and photographs associated with the Central Christian Church of Elmira.

Filter By:
TitleDocumentBox NumberFolder NumberLocation
Booklet documenting individual transfers out of Elmira Central Christian Church, 2004-2010.Booklet041501
Typed memo from church historian Jake Vetter noting items added to the church's historical collection in 1985.Memorandum041601
Letters documenting the incorporation of the First Church of Christ of Elmira, N.Y.(dated October 15, 1898) and the church's change of name to Central Christian Church (1951).Letters041602
Elmira Sunday Telegram article - "Church Choir Presents Pageant on Stephen Foster's Life," dated December 1, 1940.Article041603
Typed text, "Taken from the Dedication of the Emblem, March 21, 1976."Document041604
This section contains (12) photographs including: "Our First Permanent Church-1898-Corner of S. Main and Partridge Sts"; "Original Photograph Of The Room In The Storefront Building Which Was Used For Worship, Activities, Etc. (used approximately between 1898 and 1906)"; photograph of church members with several people identified including Floyd Collson, Jessie Taylor, Vern Wells, Rev. Kreidler, Leon Goodall, Lee Draper, and Bill Collson (ca. 1910s); "Kreidler's Class-Rally Day-Sept. 30, 1917; "Oldest Living Charter Member *1959-Harry Wood, L-R- Arthur Streeter, William Collson, George Vetter, Harry Wood"; undated photograph of organist Edna McKean with church choir: Bernard Hutchinson, Floyd Stanton, Harold Peck, Leon Bailey, R.P. Collson, Max Collson, Summer White, Lillian Peterson, Ms. Hutchinson, Maudanna Robb, Louise Browning, Shirley Hovencamp; photograph of children and adult choirs (note on reverse reads "December 23, 1962, 14 years at the organ for Alice Mae"); undated photograph of women's basketball team--top row (r-l): Rev. Allen Lard, Esther Terry, Orma Stanton, Bernice Taylor, Ida Smith-Bottom row (r-l): Helen Knapp, Leola Scaffidi, Delia Dickens, Arlene Freeman; photograph of church building (reverse reads "Easter Sunday 4/21/1957"); photograph of Jay Parker upon being awarded the Eldridge Award in 1973; photograph of A.M. Laird's Bible Class, dated 1925; undated photo of cross atop church building. Photographs041605
This folder contains (22) photographs and short biographies of the following pastors: Rev. Charles M. Kreidler, Clayton Chandler Crawford, Allan M. Laird, Rev. John Francis Bellville, Rev. Charles Lane Brooks, Rev. Kelsie G. Martin, Rev. Ronald L. Parker, Rev. Harry L. Taylor, Gregory Lee Howell, Rev. Stephanie Boughton, Everett Gene Callihan, Harry L. Graham, Alan C. Hinton, Richard Elliott, Rev. Ramon Osorio Jr. Documents041701
This folder contains (15) photographs including: several undated photographs of church congregations (ca. 1940s-1950s); "Watson Homestead-October 1970--L to R: Audrey Lampman, Eunice Valez, Leola Scaffidi, Beatty Bly, Beatty Reed, Dorothy Richards"; "Casowasco Retreat Center-October 1978-L to R: Clio Ryan, Audrey Lampman, Barb Mills, Dorothy Richards, Marian Nichols, Juanita Derrig, Ginny Parker Daniels, Leola Scaffidi"; photograph of Rev. Harry L. Taylor taking a photograph of the demolition of the old Central Christian Church at 309 S. Main St. (ca. 1974-1981); Star-Gazette article with photograph dated November 4, 1997 of Mike Mowers and Elmira Central Christian Church members Larry Gray and Charles Little making wooden crosses for churches in Zimbabwe; Chemung Valley Reporter photograph dated November 1, 1995 marking Elmira Central Christian Church's one-hundredth birthday with church members Ginny Daniels, Barbara Mills, Marshall Terry, Beatty Bly, Audrey Lampman, Esther Terry, and Beryl Turner, with inset photograph of Minister Beryl Bly; undated photograph of Elmira Central Christian Church members Miza Woodward, Evelyn West, Delia Dickens, Cora Collson, Gertrude Shell, Ruth S., Barbara Mills, Leola Scaffidi, Audrey Lampman, Dorothy Richards, Beatty Bly, Dorothy Squires, and Betty Reed; Elmira Star-Gazette photograph dated April 3, 1973 of Mrs. Marshall Terry and Mrs. Jay Parker presenting a banner to Rev. Kenneth Neal of Buffalo; undated Elmira Star-Gazette photograph of Mrs. William C. Collson supervising children in the church's rebuilt nursery. Photographs041801
This photo album contains (89) photos of miscellaneous church social events, ca. 1990s-2007.Photo Album041901
This journal contains "Circle 3" meeting minutes for the years 1923-1934.Records050101
<< First  << Previous  Next >>  Last >>

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Gallery Hours

Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays

Research Room:

Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students

The Museum Shop:

Open during regular gallery hours.


Chemung County Historical Society
415 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Contact Us:

Phone: (607) 734-4167
Email us:

Connect With Us:

Facebook Our Blog Tumblr History Pin


$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the CCHS

Group Tours Call For An Appointment

We are wheelchair accessible
©2023 Chemung County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by inCommand Technologies