Join Our Mailing List

Please enter your email address below.

Manuscript Library

Welcome to the Booth Library manuscript index. 

The manuscript index contains links to finding aids for the collections of the Booth Library.  Each finding aid has a description of that collection along with a listing of the items within that collection.  The Booth Library staff and volunteers are updating the index daily in order to make your research experience more productive.

The Manuscript Index is arranged alphabetically by collection name.  To access a finding aid, please click on its name.

To search the Manuscript Index for a specific research topic, please enter the term into the Search Library Box below. 


Please keep in mind that many collections have not been inventoried while others are currently in progress.  If you have any questions regarding the Finding Aids or the Index, please contact the archivist at archivist@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Collection TitleCL 151 Langdon Estate PapersCreatorBooth Library
Processed ByRachel Dworkin
Date Completed:July 2015
Provenance:The items in were donated to the Booth Library by the Estate of Irene Langdon in 2015. 
Terms:Elmira (N.Y.); Genealogy -- Langdon Family; Twain, Mark (1835-1910); Underground railroad
Historical:

Langdon Family - Jervis Langdon (1809-1870) and his wife Olivia Lewis Langdon (1810-1890) came to Elmira in the 1830s.  Jervis was a wealthy businessman involved with the lumber and coal industries.  The couple were ardent abolitionists, financial backers of the Underground Railroad, and founding members of the Park Church.  Their children were Susan Crane (1836-1924), Olivia L. Clemens (1845-1904) and Charles J. Langdon (1849-1916).  Olivia Clemens was the wife of author Samuel Clemens, a.k.a. Mark Twain.

Charles Langdon eventually took over his father's business.  He married Ida B. Clark (1849-1934) and fathered three children: Julia Langdon Loomis (1871-1948), Jervis Langdon (1875-1952), and Ida Langdon (1880-1964).  Jervis Langdon married Eleanor Sayles (1878-1971) and fathered Jervis Langdon II (1905-2004) and Eleanor Langdon Pennock (1906-?).  Jervis Langdon II and his wife Irene (1922-2015) were actively involved in the John W. Jones Museum and the preservation of Mark Twain's memory. 

Scope:The Langdon Estate Papers include genealogical notes about the Langdon family and related lines; personal papers of Jervis Langdon I, Jervis Langdon II and Ida Langdon; notes and writing on Mark Twain and the Underground Railroad; legal documents relating to Quarry Farm; misc. material associated with Elmira, New York. 
Extent1.5 Linear Feet
Date Span1837-2006
AbstractThis collection contains Langdon Family genealogical material as well as documents, manuscripts and newspaper clippings about Mark Twain, Quarry Farm and the Underground Railroad. 


Filter by:
TitleDocumentBox NumberFolder NumberLocation
Memorandum of Understanding between Jervis Langdon Jr., Elmira College, the National Trust for Historic Preservation and the Chemung County Historical Society expanding the Mark Twain scholar program, October 18, 1996.DocumentA1904
Narrative of the history of the gift of Quarry Farm to Elmira College by Jervis Langdon Jr. DocumentA1905
Correspondence between Elmira College, Jervis Langdon Jr. and various scholars regarding the Center for Mark Twain Studies at Elmira College, 1995-1997.CorrespondenceA1906
Draft of a Supplement to Four-Party Agreement Regarding Quarry Farm between Jervis Langdon Jr., Elmira College, the National Trust for Historic Preservation and the Chemung County Historical Society, December 1996. DocumentA1907
Supplement to Four-Party Agreement Regarding Quarry Farm between Jervis Langdon Jr., Elmira College, the National Trust for Historic Preservation and the Chemung County Historical Society, July 1997. DocumentA1908
Correspondence between Jervis Langdon Jr. and Elmira College regarding damaged trees at Quarry Farm, May 1997. CorrespondenceA1909
Report of the Chemung County Historical Society's annual inspection of Quarry Farm, 1997DocumentA1910
Newspaper clippings about Quarry Farm and the Center for Mark Twain Studies at Elmira College.Newspaper ClippingA2001
Minutes and treasurer's reports for the John W. Jones Museum, October 2001-August 2002. (incomplete)DocumentsA2101
Correspondence and reports relating to renovations at the John W. Jones Museum, 2002. DocumentsA2102
Excerpted pages from an annotated book of Clemens-Langdon family correspondence which mentions Fredrick Douglas and the Underground Railroad, 1869-1872. CorrespondenceA2201
Letter from Augustus Holt to Gratia Holt Stedman recalling Jervis Langdon's work on the Underground Railroad, 1876. LetterA2202
Correspondence between Susan L. Crane and Professor W.H. Siebert regarding her Jervis Langdon, John W. Jones and the Underground Railroad, 1896. CorrespondenceA2202
Correspondence between Chemung County Historian Clark Wilcox and various researchers regarding the Underground Railroad, 1955.CorrespondenceA2204
Newspaper clipping about Underground Railroad activities in Elmira, 1853. Newspaper ClippingA2205
Manuscript - Jervis Langdon: Ardent Abolitionist and Underground Railroad Conductor. ManuscriptA2206
Manuscript - A Part of the Underground Activities in the City of Elmira by Clay Holmes. ManuscriptA2207
Manuscript - Frederick Douglas at Elmira in 1848 by Robert M. McDowell. ManuscriptA2208
Manuscript - The Abolitionists, The Langdons and John W. Jones by Irene Langdon, 2008. ManuscriptA2209
Certificate of appointment to postmaster of the Town of Chemung issued to Jefferson B. Clark, October 17, 1837.CertificateA2301
Blotter advertising the Phoebe Snow on the Lackawanna Railroad, ca. 1920s. BlotterA2302
Program - Thespis Dramatic Society presents The Lady's Not for Burning at Elmira College Theatre, May 31-June 2, 1956. ProgramA2303
Newsletter - Park Church, September 15, 1957. NewsletterA2304
Booklet - The Bicentennial Story in Chemung County, Chemung County Bicentennial Commission, 1976. BookletA2305
Chemung Canal Trust Company investment services folder, ca. 1980s.FolderA2306
<<First  <<Previous  Next>>  Last>>

Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Gallery Hours

Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays

Research Room:

Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students

The Museum Shop:

Open during regular gallery hours.

Address:

Chemung County Historical Society
415 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Contact Us:

Phone: (607) 734-4167
Email us: cchs@chemungvalleymuseum.org

Connect With Us:

Facebook Our Blog Tumblr History Pin

Admission:

$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the CCHS

Group Tours Call For An Appointment

We are wheelchair accessible
©2019 Chemung County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by inCommand Technologies