The Chemung Valley History Museum is located at 415 East Water Street in the heart of downtown Elmira, New York. The museum is approximately 15 miles east of Corning, 30 miles south of Ithaca, and 55 miles west of Binghamton.
Monday - Saturday 10a.m. to 5 p.m.
$5.00 - Adults
$3.00 - Senior Citizens (over 55)
$1.00 - Students (6-18)
FREE - Children Under 5
FREE - Members of the Chemung County Historical Society
Call Susan Zehnder for an appointment
Monday - Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Research Fee: $5.00 per day for non-members
Free to members of the Society and students
The Museum Shop:
Open during regular gallery hours.
Mark Twain Trolley Tours 2019:
What you will view on the Trolley into Twain Country Tour:
- Where Mark Twain lived and wrote, including the Mark Twain Study on the campus of Elmira College.
- The beautiful Maple Avenue District adorned with stately Victorian era homes.
- Historic Dunn Field, home of the Elmira Pioneers baseball team and some other fun tidbits of history.
- The Chemung Valley History Museum, where you can come face to face with our intriguing past.
- Civil War Sites including the Civil War Prison Camp and Woodlawn National Cemetery, honoring fallen Civil War Union and Confederate Soldiers as well as modern era Armed Services Veterans.
- The quaint avenues of the Historic Near Westside Neighborhood in Elmira.
- The neo-classical Arnot Art Museum, featuring an envious collection of turn of the century paintings coupled with temporary exhibits showcasing fine art from around the world.
- The Clemens Center, a regional performing arts center and home to the gloriously restored Powers Theater.
Tours run Tuesdays through Saturdays ONLY during July 2nd thru August 31st. The first tour begins at 10:00 am and the final tour ends at 2:00 pm. The final tour each day will focus on Twain’s legacy in Elmira and include stops at both the Twain Study and the Clemens/Langdon burial site at Woodlawn Cemetery.
Tours depart on the hour from the Chemung Valley History Museum at 415 East Water Street in Downtown Elmira. The fare for the trolley is $8.00 for adults, $4.00 for Students ages 5 to 17, and children 4 and under are free! With purchase of a Trolley ticket the museum cost is $2.00 for Adults and Children 17 and under are free. Reservations and ticket sales for the tours are available at the Chemung Valley History Museum. To reserve your spot for the Trolley tour, please call (607) 734-4167!
Click here to contact the museum for more information.